ad placeholder

Posted on December 1, 2016 by staff

Manchester World Expo bid rejected by Government

Greater Manchester’s ambitious bid to host the 2025 World Expo has been rejected by the Government over concerns it would not offer the taxpayer value for money.

The five-yearly trade convention would have been Britain’s biggest ever event, lasting six months and showcasing the latest developments in technology, manufacturing and culture.

But the UK will no longer bid to be hosts after Chancellor Philip Hammond raised concerns over rising costs.

Greater Manchester Combined Authority planned to put forward a 271.8-acre site at Ashton Moss in Tameside, to the east of the city centre.

Council bosses said the event would have been worth billions of pounds to the local economy and created thousands of jobs.

Tameside authority leader Kieran Quinn said GMCA was “very disappointed” with the decision, and plans to meet with the Chancellor with hopes of salvaging the bid.

Last year, the World Expo took place in Milan where representatives of 145 countries attended, and the 2020 event will be held in Dubai.

The Treasury said in a statement:  “Ministers carefully considered Greater Manchester’s proposals but do not believe hosting the World Expo offers good value for money for taxpayers.

“The Government is working closely with local leaders to create a Northern Powerhouse and build an economy that works for everyone, and that is why we backed Greater Manchester with £1.2bn of additional funding through its devolution deal.

“We are also providing over half a billion pounds for local projects to help create jobs across the North, £13bn to improve transport, and we remain as committed as ever to working with those in the North, who know the North best, to unleash its full potential.”