Posted on August 3, 2015 by staff

MPS to Investigate Superfast Broadband Rollout to Final 5%

MPS to Investigate Superfast Broadband Rollout to Final 5%

An investigation is to be launched by MPs regarding the rollout of superfast broadband to the final 5% of UK premises not included in the plans.

An inquiry is to be held by the Culture Media and Sport Committee to look at the coverage, delivery and performance of superfast broadband as well as mobile coverage.

The aim from the government is to provide 95% coverage of fibre based services by the end of 2017, however that strategy excludes 1.5 million premises, mostly in rural Britain, where mobile network coverage is often weak. The report reveals the remaining 5% is spread across 70% of the UK’s landmass.

Committee chairman Jess Norman said: “Proper digital connectivity is key both to the well-being of many communities and to Britain’s economic future. Yet many people and businesses are unable to receive the digital access and services they need. This inquiry is designed to find out exactly why that is, and how to fix it.”

The DCMS has already offered £10m funding towards trials of innovative technologies to help reach the final 5%.

Pilot projects involving eight companies testing various technologies such as next generation Wi-Fi, satellite and new ways of harnessing fibre-to-the premises (FTTP) systems are expected to start later in the year.