Manchester has dreams of becoming the UK’s Silicon Valley – but what does it need to do to get there?
With 51,901 jobs and a turnover of £2.2billion, it is the nation’s second-largest tech sector after capital London.
The digital scene is thriving thanks to the investment and networking opportunities provided by the likes of Hugh Campbell, founder of investment banking firm GP Bullhound.
However there is a lot of work to be done – and BusinessCloud sought to nail down the areas where efforts should be concentrated in this roundtable, held in association with Tech Manchester.
Campbell, Playdemic CEO Paul Gouge, former Mobica MD Mike Gibbons and chair Chris Maguire, editor of BusinessCloud, considered:
- how Manchester is currently viewed in California
- the ways in which the city and surrounding area should build itself up
- which three components are needed to make Manchester a success story
- the key institutions for effective collaboration
- the importance of the city’s brand