Posted on February 23, 2018 by staff

Business leaders say AI is having a positive impact


Almost half of the North West’s business leaders believe that artificial intelligence (AI) is already benefitting their organisation in some way, according to a recent survey conducted by Deloitte.

The advisory firm surveyed business leaders in attendance at its recent TMT Predictions event to gather views on its 2018 global report.

The results highlighted that 48 per cent of respondents believed that AI is having a positive impact on their business, whilst the remaining 52 per cent thought that it may in the future.

Claire Jolly, head of TMT at Deloitte in the North West, said: “Artificial Intelligence is expected to become even more prevalent this year and is already starting to provide benefits to companies across the North West.

“Whilst it may not yet be a business fundamental, the fact that it is successfully helping to automate processes such as administrative tasks suggests it won’t be long before AI has a role in many businesses.”

According to the results, it is not just AI that will benefit local businesses in the near future. The findings also indicated that improvements in other technology – such as in-flight connectivity – will have a positive impact.

Nearly half of respondents (49 per cent) said that developments in such technology will positively affect their business, while three quarters (75 per cent) believed smartphones would have an increased prevalence in the work environment in the future.

“We predicted that one billion passenger journeys globally will be carried out on planes fitted with in-flight connectivity in 2018,” said Jolly.

“It is encouraging to hear that this is not only expected to benefit leisure passengers, but business travellers in the region as well.

“The ability to stay in contact with colleagues throughout flights could boost efficiency and also contribute towards more international expansion from businesses in the region.”